CAIN (Customs Assigned Importer Number)

Businesses typically use a Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number to register as an importer with the government. If a business doesn’t have an SSN or EIN, such as in the case of a foreign company importing into the United States, they are assigned a Customs Assigned Importer Number.